Associate Animator - Sledgehammer Games
Located in the San Francisco Bay Area, Melbourne, Australia, Toronto, Canada and Guildford, UK – Sledgehammer Games is the videogame development team behind Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare 3, Call of Duty®: Advanced Warfare, Call of Duty®: WWII, and Call of Duty®: Vanguard. Since our founding in 2009, our greatest passion has been making AAA games. The strength of our team makes us not only excellent at what we do, but also how we do it. We firmly believe in supporting our passionate employees to be the best they can be. Here at Sledgehammer Games, everyone is a game maker.
We are constantly evolving and innovating – which are some of the most rewarding aspects of game development. With our outstanding audio, design, engineering, and art teams, we’ve been able to achieve some of the highest-quality game execution of any studio in the industry. We love making games and we work hard to make sure that each new game we make is even better than the last. Creativity is key, and we’re looking for dedicated game developers for our exciting upcoming projects.
Sledgehammer Games is wholly owned by Activision. To learn more about our studio, please visit us at www.sledgehammergames.com or search for Sledgehammer Games on your favorite social media platform. Want to hear what it’s like at the studio directly from current employees? Check out our #LifeatSHG developer profiles: https://youtu.be/12DUBszg-w4
Associate Animators are part of a tight-knit team that prides itself on crafting in-game and cinematic animations that are sophisticated and believable. Working with the department lead, you will receive shot assignments or animation tasks that contribute to furthering understanding of character and/or action and advance the emotional and gameplay goals of the project.
Completing your work will require you to build relationships with many production teams, such as Design, Engineering, and Environment, as you all collaborate to strive for the best visual and narrative results for each game.
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Use traditional animation fundamentals to craft game motions that range from stylised to hyper-realistic.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of camera animation and cinematic framing, as well as shot continuity and facial animation.
- Respond well to feedback and be willing to iterate multiple times to achieve the polish level we need to deliver AAA titles.
- Troubleshoot tool implementations and suggest workflow improvements to increase the efficiency and creativity of the team.
- 1+ years professional animation experience
- Knowledge of cinematic and motion capture editing and cleanup
- Strong animation fundamentals with a focus on human movement (timing, weight, balance)
- Ability to adapt to new tools and tech
- Proficient in Maya
- Strong problem-solving skills both technical and cross-department
- Ability to think philosophically about character movement
- Familiarity with character creation (modelling, texturing, and rigging) is a bonus.
- A curiosity about participating in live previs shoots to help clarify tone, choreography, and pacing for mocap actors.
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world’s largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, Candy Crush™ and Bubble Witch™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ – we’ve got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Sledgehammer Games is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.