Database Administrator (DBA)
Amazon Games is seeking a highly talented and motivated Database Administrator (DBA) to join our Live Operations team supporting Lost Ark and new titles in development. Amazon is all-in on games, and our mission is to be the most customer-obsessed company in the industry. At Amazon Games, we’re creating compelling games like New World, a sandbox MMO set on a supernatural continent, as well as several – yet – undisclosed titles. Amazon Games is also publishing exciting titles like Lost Ark for western markets, delivering great game benefits to Prime members each month via Prime Gaming, and providing game developers of all sizes with the tools they need to succeed with Amazon Game Tech. We are looking for an experienced DBA to join our team and help take our business to the next level!
In this role you will be responsible for performing Database Administrator duties, including migrating existing databases to AWS as well as capacity planning and maintaining/tuning production databases for multiple new titles within Amazon Games. The ideal candidate must be a team player who is able to work directly with end-users and teammates to bring titles to production. They must add value to the team by bringing ideas and solutions to the table. If you’d like to come join us, here’s some things that are key to success in this role:
- Have a penchant for digging deep and attacking difficult and complex problems.
- Be a self-starter who is able to work alone or as a member of a team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work on multiple concurrent projects and interface with all levels within the organization.
- Broad awareness of customer workloads and use cases, including performance, availability and scalability.
- Working knowledge of relational database internals (locking, consistency, serialization, recovery paths).
Key job responsibilities
- Build and maintain complex mission-critical production database systems.
- Analyze issues holistically, from the application tier through the database, down to the storage.
- Working with AWS Services: S3, EC2, EBS, etc.
- Leverage good coding/scripting skills to automate tasks and improve workload analysis mechanisms.
- Bachelors in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience
- 6+ years as a DBA, Database Engineer, or similar role is required
- 4+ years of experience engineering, administering and managing MS SQL Server databases
- 1+ years of experience running a Game’s database
- 3+ years of experience with procedural language for at least one database engine a must (PL/SQL, T-SQL etc.)
- A passion for Gaming! – Great understanding of how the Games industry operates and the unique characteristics, delightful weirdness, and culture of the industry.
- Experience supporting large-scale high-availability systems in a production environment.
- Professional Game industry experience dealing with Game and/or Game backend services.
- Passion for cloud database and streaming technologies – understanding of public and hybrid cloud platforms.
- Deep knowledge of AWS database and streaming services and their relevance to the Games industry.
- Relevant technical knowledge is helpful, such as: Game development platforms (Unity, Unreal, etc), core distributed computing concepts, fundamentals of cloud computing and virtualization, platform variation (mobile, PC, Console), software defined networking, network functions virtualization, etc. with the ability to go deep enough on relevant technologies key to the industry.
- Familiarity with at least one scripting language (shell, Python, Perl)
- Consulting experience is a plus
- Storage engineering experience, including NAS, SAN, SSD, multi-pathing and caching.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.