Unreal Engine C++ Programmer
In this volunteer position you will be working closely with other members of the Coding department to develop C++ code for the Lays of Althas: Sundered Order (LoA:SO). We are using Epic Game’s Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) to develop the game, and knowledge of how C++ code interacts with UE4 is required. Knowledge of Blueprint scripting in UE4 is recommended, but not required.
Communication is key to a smooth and efficient pipeline, you must be able to communicate clearly and effectively with other team-members and not be afraid to ask should any problems arise. We are an English-speaking team, so English fluency is a must.
If you are comfortable with teaching, you may be called upon to aid the more junior members of the team in any relevant area.
Other duties include: attending Slack meetings (Slack is an instant messaging we communicate with), reporting the progress of the Programming team on a weekly basis and following team policies.
NOTE: This is not an Internship. We are not looking for short-term Interns. We are looking for long-term Volunteer Programmers who have previous experience developing in Unreal Engine with C++ experience.
- C++ programming experience
- Unreal Engine 4 experience, and how C++ code interacts with it
- Having created and completed at least 1 Unreal Engine project/game (using C++)
- Providing clear and legible code
- Knowledge or experience working with Ascent Combat Framework (ACF) or Gameplay Ability System (GAS)
- Online communication, team-collaboration skills, and English fluency
- A passion for coding and a dedication to creating AAA quality games
- Blueprint scripting experience
- Git Experience
- At least 1 Unreal Engine project (using C++) prepared to show prior to the interview. If you do not have one, we can give you an assignment to complete (we will give you 2 weeks to complete it) to test your abilities.
- Unreal Engine 4 ( https://www.unrealengine.com/register )
- Visual Studio Community Edition ( https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads ) with Unreal Engine packages
- Git SCM ( https://git-scm.com ) and GIT LFS ( https://git-lfs.github.com )
Epoch Games is a volunteer-based, all-online, global game development team. We have no centrally-located headquarters and are unincorporated at this time. The founding members were originally modders developing the total conversion Middle Earth Roleplaying Project (MERP) mod for the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: http://www.moddb.com/mods/merp-middle-earth-roleplaying-project
Currently Epoch Games is developing The Lays of Althas: Sundered Order (LoA:SO). LoA:SO is an in-development indie open-world RPG set in an original fantasy world. The game is being developed using Epic Games’ Unreal Engine 4 (UE4): https://www.unrealengine.com/
For more information about the game, please check out our IndieDb page: http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-lays-of-althas-sundered-order
NOTE: Although Epoch Games does have a formal office at the listed address, we are a fully-online team at this time. Communication is mostly done via Slack (an instant messaging application) and Trello (an online project collaboration tool).