Senior Technical Animator
Who We Are
Founded in 2005, 2K Games is a global video game company, publishing titles developed by some of the most influential game development studios in the world. Our studios responsible for developing 2K’s portfolio of world-class games across multiple platforms, include Visual Concepts, Firaxis, Hangar 13, CatDaddy, Cloud Chamber, and HB Studios. Our portfolio of titles is expanding due to our global strategic plan, building and acquiring exciting studios whose content continues to inspire all of us! 2K publishes titles in today’s most popular gaming genres, including sports, shooters, action, role-playing, strategy, casual, and family entertainment.
Our team of engineers, marketers, artists, writers, data scientists, producers, thinkers and doers, are the professional publishing stewards of our growing library of critically-acclaimed franchises such as NBA 2K, Battleborn, BioShock, Borderlands, The Darkness, Mafia, Sid Meier’s Civilization, WWE 2K, and XCOM.
At 2K, we pride ourselves on creating an inclusive work environment, which means encouraging our teams to Come as You Are and do your best work! We are dedicated to diversity and inclusion, and want our community of candidates to reflect this commitment. We encourage all qualified applicants to explore our global positions.
2K is headquartered in Novato, California and is a wholly owned label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO).
What We Need
A Senior Technical Animator works closely with the animation and engineering teams to push the creative vision and technical boundaries for animation. Someone who really understands run-time animation, content authoring, creating tools, and pipeline development that is engaged in designing and improving efficient workflows, while having an eye for quality.
What You Will Do
- Create and maintain various rigs in Maya.
- Implement and set up assets in the game engine.
- Help troubleshoot issues relating to animation in both Maya and the game engine.
- Create, maintain, and continuously improve tools and pipelines in Maya.
- Help make sure assets and systems are optimized for run-time performance.
- Work closely with the team to refine workflows and content authoring processes.
- Mentor and guide others on tool usages, technical workflows, and best practices.
- Create a written or video documentation to aid information sharing.
- Take an active role in the structure, organization, and performance of animation systems in the editor.
What Will Make You a Great Fit
You are that special someone with a keen artistic eye and who loves to work their technical wizardry! You work towards understanding the whys of how something works and able to clearly communicate the findings to others. You are motivated to learn, seek new wisdom, and take pride in mentoring others.
- Good understanding of animation principles and how they can be applied to video games.
- Knowledge of human anatomy and kinesiology, and understanding of how it relates to deformation rigs.
- Experience working with a game engine. (e.g. Unreal, Unity, or AAA proprietary game engines)
- Vast experience creating animator friendly rigs in Maya.
- Tools development experience in Python, and PySide2 or PyQt5.
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming principles and practical usage.
- Experience with driving positive and effective collaborative processes in a team environment.
- Experience with optimizing(e.g. lod, fps performance, memory footprint) assets for a game engine.
- Animation, skinning, rigging, and/or pipeline tools development experience in Maya is a plus.
- Experience working with FACS based facial rig is a plus.
- Maya plug-in authoring experience in C++ is a plus.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to ensuring that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform their essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us if you need reasonable accommodation.
Please note that 2K Games and its studios never uses instant messaging apps or personal email accounts to contact prospective employees or conduct interviews and when emailing, only use 2K.com accounts.