Senior Software Engineer (Effects)
Unity/Weta is seeking a creative, dedicated Pipeline Engineer to join our Shots and Lookdev R&D team to build tools for our FX team. This role is based in Wellington, though candidates in compatible timezones may be able to join remotely.
In this fast paced technical role, you will support and develop tools for artists at WetaFX in our industry-leading simulation and effects pipeline. This year we are striving to deliver more shots than ever, at a higher quality than ever, on movies such as Avatar 2 and the next slate of Marvels.
As part of a team, you will be responsible for evolving and improving Weta’s tools and software to facilitate effects workflows in water, fire, destruction, magic and others, alongside improving pipeline efficiency and asset management. Our tools are used by artists across the company and are crucial to the delivery of creative content. We work closely with the FX Artists to build these tools and workflows.
What you’ll be doing
- Develop, deploy and support artist-facing tooling and applications
- Providing support and guidance for the workflow of FX artists and the creation of our effects data
- Working with artists to gather requirements, develop new workflows and techniques and test
- Contributing to broader backend pipeline improvement projects such as improved data flow, management of our compute resource, and rendering
What we’re looking for
- Demonstrable professional experience developing software with python
- Familiarity with VFX production pipelines and an understanding of Houdini, Maya or equivalent.
- An excellent communicator who enjoys collaborating and problem solving with artists
You might also have
- Direct experience coding for Houdini, UIs with Qt or other frameworks, C++, experience with USD
- Experience as an FX TD in a VFX pipeline
- Familiarity with another VFX pipeline technology – simulation technology, renderers, asset databases, render farm scheduling and so on
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity is the foundation upon which the world’s most powerful digital content is created. Specifically, Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
In the fourth quarter of 2021, Unity had, on average, 3.9 billion monthly active end users who consumed content created or operated with its solutions. The applications developed by these creators were downloaded, on average, five billion times per month in 2021. For more information, please visit www.unity.com .
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, disability, gender, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please fill out this form to let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.