Senior Games Designer
Location: SI HQ, Here East, London
Reporting to: Senior Producer (Console)
Sports Interactive are looking for a talented Senior Games Designer to work on the Football Manager franchise as part of the Design Team at SI.
As a Senior Games Designer you will be responsible for both creating and guiding the latest feature designs on a specific FM game product as well as contributing to the broader design discipline for the studio.
Typical activities include running design workshops, developing game features, systems, controls, and interfaces with the end goal to bring the products vision to life with the best possible in-game experience.
You will join a newly formed, ambitious and passionate team who care deeply about Football Manager on console and improving its quality and useability.
A successful candidate will be a dynamic and self-motivated individual, with outstanding communication skills, who is able to complete work independently but also understands the value of collaboration.
- Designing engaging and often complex systems, in line with the product vision.
- Articulate design concepts by creating assets such as documents, wireframes, prototypes, presentations, mock-ups etc to validate features prior to development.
- Review design success via qualitative and quantitative assessment techniques.
- Create and present new ideas to the Visualisation Director and other key stake holders.
- Collaborate with the Design team by leading ideation workshops.
- Collaborate with other key teams within the Studio, such as Gameplay, UI, Comms, Programming and Art to ensure goals from other disciplines are met.
- Standardise, document, and communicate game features and systems in a clear and concise manner to the team.
- Help assess the quality and usability of features via usability testing, focus tests and in-house play testing.
- Be a mentor for the Design Team, helping with professional growth.
- Contribute to briefing research/customer insights carried out by the Comms/Business Intelligence teams
- Anticipate multiple development streams arriving at different times
- Creating/using in game metrics to inform decisions
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Deep understanding of video game design
- A broad knowledge of design as a discipline, understanding methodologies like user centered design, inclusive design, iterative design, designing for accessibility etc.
- Deep software knowledge of appropriate creative packages such as Adobe CC.
- Have experienced a full development cycle releasing at least one video game.
- Minimum of 3+ years Design experience.
- Experience within a ‘Senior’ or ‘Lead’ role including mentorship and/or people management would be beneficial.
- Some experience with Unity or GameMaker or Unreal preferred.
- Some scripting experience is a plus.
- Good project and time management skills.
- Ability to work in an agile environment
- Excellent communication skills for effective collaboration with software engineers, artists, animators and production staff.
- Self-motivated with a drive to continuously improve yourself and others.
- A broad knowledge of Football, as a sport and as a global industry.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic and collaborative environment.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
Sports Interactive (SI) is an ambitious development studio creating immersive sports management simulations. Since 1994, we’ve captivated a global pool of players with our iconic, BAFTA award-winning game, Football Manager. We’re a wholly owned subsidiary of SEGA having caught their attention in 2006 with our continuous critical and commercial success.We’re a tenacious community, coming together at the Here East technology hub in Stratford, East London. Always expanding, the SI team takes on the gaming genre through a diverse array of disciplines. But no matter how big we dream, we keep our approach (and your schedule) flexible, creating a relaxed atmosphere where collaboration can thrive.
Further information on the company and its games is available at www.sigames.com .
We approach everything with passion, whether that’s making our mark on the gaming and football industries or doing our bit for the world around us. We want to share that outlook with everyone who shows up to work here each day.
We like our talent tenacious, so you can expect to surround yourself with other ambitious individuals bringing their A-game to many different disciplines. We know collaboration is the key to constantly topping our best, and encourage our people to fiercely realise their own personal potential.
We believe everyone matters, no matter which part of the business you’re in. Above all else, we’re a team. A team with a down-to-earth dynamic, that works and plays together. We have fun doing what we do; one of the many reasons we’re one of the best places to work in the UK games business (Gameindustry.biz 2021 Large studio category).
And if you want a work/life balance, we’re behind you. Because while we live to create extraordinary games, we know that’s not all you’ve got going on. You can trust that we always keep things in perspective, fostering an environment where work can be more than just a job.
Our flexible working culture gives team members the responsibility to optimise their workloads, with in-office, hybrid and remote working options. Even in countries where we don’t directly employ*, we’ll even explore what’s possible via third parties and do our best to accommodate location preferences. We’re also a London Living Wage employer and proudly boast one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the industry.
*We’re able to directly employ in the UK, Ireland, France, Sweden and Finland.
Inclusivity Matters We’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from any relevant candidate irrespective of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion, or belief. Our studio has disabled access and facilities.
SI is proudly a Disability Confident Committed employer, and we are dedicated to ensuring our recruitment process is inclusive and accessible. Our studio has disabled access and facilities but please ensure you advise us if you require any other reasonable adjustments to be made to support you during the recruitment process.
This job description is an accurate reflection of the duties and responsibilities of the post as at the time of writing but will be changed from time to time as the job is a career development job which will be adjusted according to the progress of the job holder. It does not form part of the contract of employment.