Senior Developer - 12 Months FTC
The Senior Developer forms a key part of one or more Agile Teams, within the Application Development Dept, for IT Group. Having a global presence, we support the whole of Square Enix, whether that be HQ Functions, our Publishing arm, or our renowned Game Studios – famous for the likes of Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider and Space Invaders! Work is excitingly varied and involves R&D, crafting, enriching, and preserving our internal set of Apps, Integrations, and Information Systems. From Apps managing Game Keys, Playtests, and Studio Resourcing/Budgeting – to Integrations automating Japanese Translation and Data Protection Requests – to Information Systems powering Fan Art and Game Rating Checks!
- Develop bespoke Apps, Integrations and Information Systems
- Employ testing techniques including TDD, Unit Tests and UI Automation
- Analyse, debug and resolve both technical and application specific problems
- Participate in Peer-Reviews of designs and Paired-Programming sessions
- Perform Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery, package and deployment
- Elicit requirements into Backlog Items, estimates and work plans
- Write documentation, manuals and reports on operation and status of software
- Adhere to development Best Practices, in conjunction with Agile Principles
- Focus on quality in delivering maximum value incrementally back to Stakeholders
- Assess and recommend opportunities for development and Process Improvement
- Provide third-level support to internal business users
- Collaborate with the wider IT Group and Square Enix business in delivering solutions
- Stay informed of emerging technologies and consider how they may be useful
Lead Developer, Director of Application Development
Knowledge & Experience:
This is a key position and requires both deep and broad-ranging technical expertise and specialisations, along with a firm grasp of industry Best Practices and Methodologies for modern development. Essential and desirable skills are listed below.
The Senior Developer will have over the years, contributed, both individually to and in leading on countless distinct projects from start to finish and have gained a wholistic view of what it takes to build high quality, usable solutions.
As an industry rule of thumb, this translates to around 10 years’ minimum commercial experience. However, having the right team fit, experience and the ability to perform the role and duties well, are the overriding factor. In a similar vein, an Undergraduate Degree, Masters or similar in a Computer Science field is desirable, however not essential.
Languages & Frameworks
TDD, Unit Testing (e.g. MSTest, NUnit or XUnit)
Relational DB (e.g. MS SQL Server), SQL
Visual Studio, Source Control (e.g. DevOps, VSTS, TFS, or Git), Issue Tracking & PM (e.g. DevOps, TFS, Jira)
Agile and Scrum
Principles, Practices & Patterns
OO Design & Development, SOLID and Design Patterns, CI/CD
.NET Core, Blazor, Angular, TypeScript, React, Node.js, Bootstrap, Vue.js
Jest, Selenium, Jasmine, Mocha, Chai, Protractor, Mocking (Moq, Sinon), SpecFlow
ReSharper, Azure Cloud, Docker, Confluence
Enterprise Application and Other APIs
Slack, Jira, Confluence, Workday, Agresso, Salesforce, oAuth
- This role requires a high degree of self-motivation and a proactive attitude. As self-organising Agile Teams, a collaborative goal-oriented approach in respect of peers and colleagues is a must. A logical mind is required in respect of solutions, but a strategic mind is required in terms of driving the solution forward pragmatically. With an eye for detail, resulting work will be thorough, accurate and of high quality. Strong verbal and written English essential for Team and Stakeholder communication.
- It is appreciated we all have lives outside of the office, but an interest in development and keeping ahead of the curve is desirable. Above all, the wish to further yourself technically and personally is highly regarded. An enthusiasm for video games is of course welcome too!
Our goal at Square Enix is to hire, retain, develop and promote the best talent, regardless of age, gender, race, religious, belief, sexual orientation or physical ability.
Our pledge to D&I
At Square Enix we believe in the importance of being a diverse and global company, and we stand firmly together against any forms of injustice, intolerance, harassment or discrimination. In our effort to create a truly diverse workforce, we pledge to continue to raise awareness in every step of the employee experience, from recruitment to promotions to ensure equal opportunities for all. One of our goals is to champion diversity in games and at work and work together to inspire real change.
Learning and education around D&I will be a key element for us to continue to grow as an organization. With unconscious bias training, D&I workshops and a variety of initiatives to give our employees the opportunity to be heard and be part of that change to achieve real equality. We need all our efforts to continue to build our culture of inclusion and equality.
We are also proud to partner with UKIE’s Raise the Game pledge, BAME in Games and Women in Games, to name a few.
Hybrid Working Policy
Square Enix is pleased to be an employer that offers flexibility within the workplace.
We have a hybrid working policy which allows employees to work from the comfort of their home, three days per week, and in our amazing Blackfriars office for the other two.
Or, if being in the Office is your preference, you can choose three days working from our office and two days working from home. The choice is yours!