Remote Japanese Translator (Contract)
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Remote Japanese Translator (Contract) – Hybrid or fully remote
The role of this Remote Japanese Translator position is to provide English to Japanese (and vice versa) translation and/or interpretation services to staff within PlayStation Studios QA and all partners in order to support the development, execution, analysis and release of software and/or hardware for the PlayStation platform. This position can be either a hybrid work role (mainly remote) or fully remote. The general working hours are 9:30am to 6:30pm with a 1-hour lunch break in Pacific Time, but can be adjusted based on individual (candidate) and/or business schedule.
Responsibilities: (In order of priority)
- Written Translation: Providing English <> Japanese written translations (Mainly English-to-Japanese translations)
Translation of internal communication focused requests including but not limited to emails, documents, video subtitles, forums, chats, bugs, system tickets, and any other business-related correspondence that contribute towards global efforts for PlayStation.
- Comprehension of the original text and reflecting the meaning/nuance in translation with the target audience in mind
- Use of translation CAT tool
- Maintenance and contribution to translation memory and glossaries
- Post-editing translations
- External-facing translations (e.g., blog posts, website, etc.)
- Coordination with both Regional & Global Translation Team to ensure efficient translation support
Collaborate with translators locally and globally to provide 24-hour translation support while ensuring that no work is duplicated during the overlapping hours and that remaining work is handed over to the next region.
Responsibilities may include:
- Prioritize translation requests to ensure the most urgent ones are completed promptly
- Connect with customers to inquire about translation targets and agree on a due date as needed
- Work with peer translators to do translation QA and provide assessments for quality improvement
- Update translation tickets as appropriate with comments on the status and progress of assigned work
- Attend regular operational team meetings (virtual)
- Verbal Translation: Providing consecutive and/or simultaneous interpretation support
Providing on-site or remote interpretation services to support conferences, summits, meetings, etc. for PlayStation and its partners.
- Consecutive interpretation (on-site/remote)
- Simultaneous interpretation (on-site/remote, mainly English to Japanese)
- At least 1 year of experience working as a professional English-to-Japanese translator. Translation experience with external-facing communication (intended for a large audience) is a plus.
- Translation skill is expected to be at a level to perform well in a fast paced and professional business environment.
- A person in this role should understand basic office applications such as MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel and Outlook.
- A person who is eager to learn, detailed, proactive, and works collaboratively with colleagues towards common objectives.
- The ideal individual for this position will be very customer oriented and able to work with diverse groups.
- Ability to follow outlined processes and procedures as well as communicate to team members on ideas for improvements.
- General knowledge of both the game development and general software development industries is suggested.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.