Lead Lighting Artist
Located in the San Francisco Bay Area, Melbourne, Australia, Toronto, Canada and Guildford, UK – Sledgehammer Games is the videogame development team behind Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare 3, Call of Duty®: Advanced Warfare and Call of Duty®: WWII. Since our founding in 2009, our greatest passion has been making AAA games. The strength of our team makes us not only excellent at what we do, but also how we do it. We firmly believe in supporting our passionate employees to be the best they can be. Here at Sledgehammer Games, everyone is a game maker.
We are constantly evolving and innovating – which are some of the most rewarding aspects of game development. With our extraordinary audio, design, engineering and art teams, we’ve been able to achieve some of the highest-quality game execution of any studio in the industry. We love making games and we work hard to make sure that each new game we make is even better than the last. Creativity is key, and we’re looking for dedicated game developers for our exciting next project.
Sledgehammer Games is wholly owned by Activision. To learn more about our studio, please visit us at www.sledgehammergames.com or search for Sledgehammer Games on your favorite social media platform. Want to hear what it’s like at the studio directly from current employees? Check out our #LifeatSHG developer profiles: https://youtu.be/12DUBszg-w4
Your mission is to inspire, mentor, and lead a team of high-caliber lighting artists to use color and composition to evoke captivating visuals for a game played by millions. Our Supervising Lighting Artists are role-models that not only manage the team through challenge and change, but also build up individuals into highly engaged, efficient, and effective teammates. Above all, we’re seeking an innovative and dedicated leader to help tell our story.
- Collaborate with Creative Directors, Designers, Engineers, Artists, Producers, and Animators to deliver epic visual content for world-class player experiences.
- Be a proactive self-starter that can independently implement high-level direction.
- Work in Radiant to augment play-spaces with lighting that supports game and story objectives.
- Be a trusted gatekeeper for performance, efficiency, and quality.
- Define team goals, action plans, and schedules for the project.
- Empower your team with consistent mentorship, goals, opportunities, resources, and feedback.
- Lead, task, mentor and conduct one-to-one meetings with your Lighting Artists.
- Play builds of games in-progress and provide concise and prioritized feedback to both internal teams and external partners.
- Champion standard processes and advocate towards streamlining tools and processes.
- Contribute creative and original ideas towards all aspects of game production and development.
- Significant and deep experience in the games industry working in a lighting capacity, and/or film or equivalent experience.
- At least 1 shipped title as a Lead Lighting Artist.
- Strong affinity for CGI lighting techniques, color theory, and post-process effects for console hardware (Xbox, PS, PC).
- Possesses in-depth understanding of game engines, pipelines, and processes.
- Proven track record thriving in an exciting and often ambiguous environment.
- Strong understanding of in-game lighting with ability to clearly discuss modern trends.
- Inspiring reel demonstrating a focus and dedication to realistic lighting techniques and knowledge.
- Experience in a secondary area such as texturing, modeling, scripting, animation, or vfx a plus.
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world’s largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, Candy Crush™ and Bubble Witch™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ – we’ve got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Activision is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.