Lead Environment Artist
About Splash Damage
We believe that games play better with friends. For more than 20 years, we’ve been creating team-based multiplayer experiences that have entertained tens of millions of players all over the world and forged countless new friendships along the way.
Our studio culture is rooted in our open, friendly, and collaborative environment. Our games are made by people from all over the world, from our entry-level Fresh Talent hires to industry veterans, and we believe that fostering that diverse culture is the best way to build both our games and our studio. We have won numerous awards, including a ‘World-Class’ accreditation by Best Companies and being named one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to work for.Our offices are based in Bromley, UK, and our teams have access to working patterns that work for them.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for you and your family, including:
- On-site and Hybrid working patterns help us spend the right amount of time together
- Substantial performance-related pay system on top of your basic compensation, along with enhanced pension contributions and our life assurance scheme
- Bespoke VISA and relocation packages for you and your family, with support from our team throughout the whole process
- 25 days of holiday and 8 Bank Holidays a year, plus our annual studio closure between Christmas and New Year’s
- Private Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family, along with a 24/7 digital GP service
- Extensive Mental Health support, with Line Manager Mental Health training, a group of Mental Health First-Aiders, and on-site or remote counselling
- Our bespoke Learning and Development course framework to help you grow as an employee, manager, and leader
- Industry-leading fully paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave
Whether they are hard surface architectural, mostly organic or a fusion of both, the worlds that the Environment Artists create here at Splash Damage are not only high quality in terms of their visuals, but are lovingly crafted game play spaces.
We trust our Lead Environment Artists to manage, mobilise and mentor their teams. They are critical in establishing the pipelines and processes for the Environment team as well as setting the quality bar for others to follow.
Splash Damage is looking for an experienced Lead Environment Artist to join our growing teams of talented developers, helping us to create exciting games that are expertly built and enjoyed by millions.
- Work with Production to prioritise and plan the project’s Environment needs.
- Provide and sanity check task estimates and scope.
- Review the Environment team’s output, giving constructive feedback.
- Work with the Art Director to create high quality environments in keeping with the project’s visual direction.
- Set quality expectations and provide visual benchmarks.
- Coach, mentor and develop the team ensuring their growth as a unit and as individuals.
- Delegate and assign work to team members.
- Track tasks in Jira and other project tracking software.
- Work to highlight and mitigate any issues that put the project at risk.
- Collaborate with other sub-discipline Leads to ensure that the environments serve the wider needs of the project.
- Maintain a healthy creative team culture.
- Shipped at least one title as a Lead Environment Artist.
- Strong leadership and empathetic people management skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- A portfolio filled with recent examples of Environment work.
- A strong understanding of shape, form and composition.
- Proven abilities in optimised 3D asset creation.
- Solid experience of PBR workflows.
- Proficiency with industry standard modelling tools such as 3D Studio Max and Maya.
- Experience working with Photoshop, Substance Painter.
- Worked with industry standard asset tracking software such as Jira.
Bonus Points for:
- Experience working within Unreal Engine 4+
- Skills with supporting software such as Zbrush and Substance Designer.
- A mixture of hard surface and foliage asset modelling skills.
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.